Both on the lakebed and on Facebook, things are ramping up!
Launching is scheduled to begin at 9:00 AM PDT, which is just about 1 hour from now!
If you are posting photos or video to social media, please use #LDRS35 so the rest of us can enjoy them too!
Wednesday day should see a high temperature over 100°F. Then it should “cool down” to about 90°F highs on the weekend. The humidity will probably range from high single digits to about 20%. Protection from the Sun and hydration will be very important!
A link to the closest weather station to the lakebed has been added to the Launch Site Information page. This information updates every two minutes.
To our members:
The National Association of Rocketry’s Standards & Testing and Tripoli Rocketry Association’s Tripoli Motor Testing Chairmen are hereby enacting temporary Safety restriction for all Cesaroni Technology, Inc. VMAX reload motors equipped with delay charges.
We have both seen a growing number of VMAX flights using delay only recovery coming in ballistic at our flying fields, due to delay snuffing. It is believed that delay snuffing is likely a result of any extremely high burn rate motor completing its burn with a significant drop in pressure and/or temperature, breaking the burn ‘chain’, extinguishing or ‘snuffing’ the delay slug.
In light of the unpredictable VMAX delay performance and the resulting significant safety issues, we will now require all VMAX motor flights flown at NAR and Tripoli launch sites to have at least one electronic system installed for primary recovery. These electronics need to be able to handle the short G period of these motors to insure “Flight in progress” triggers. The safety restriction will be lifted when the manufacturer has provided documentation to the three motor certification committee chairman which includes the root cause analysis, the corresponding design changes undertaken by the manufacture to address the issue, and implements the necessary changes.
Any questions about this restriction may be sent to your respective organization’s motor test chair
NAR Safety Committee Chairman
Tripoli Motor Testing Chairman
ROC members and supporters. We need your help. We are looking for volunteers. Please help out by committing to work registration for LDRS. Any and all help is appreciated.
There are many other opportunities to volunteer at LDRS. Please consider paying back to your club.
If you are willing to help, please contact us on the chat and we will line you up.
ROC is a tremendous organization who runs on the support of our volunteers.
on behalf of your ROC Board and LDRS35 Executive Planning Committee
The crystal ball is clearing and the weather for LDRS 35 is coming into focus.
High temperatures will peak this weekend (June 4), and then begin easing by the start of LDRS. Wednesday, June 8, will see a high temperature in the mid-90s, but Thursday through Saturday high temperatures should be close to 90°F (32°C) on the lakebed. Sunday, June 12, it will begin warming again.
No precipitation is expected for as long as I care to predict.
Winds will be from the West/South-West at 12 to 15 MPH in the afternoon next week, with calmer conditions around dawn. Gusts in the 20 to 25 MPH range are possible in the evenings.
UV strength will range from high to extreme, so sunblock and protection from sun exposure is very important. The only shade on the lakebed is what you bring!
Humidity on the lakebed is expect to be around 15% to 20% all week, so dehydration is a serious threat, especially for those who are not acclimated to the desert South-West.
Protection from the sun and drinking plenty of water are important considerations for anyone coming to LDRS! Keep a close eye on your children for symptoms of heat illness, and please leave your pets at home!
Weather on the Lucerne Dry Lakebed can, and does, change in the blink of an eye. Stay tuned for updates…